Thursday, June 17, 2010

Decked for Jaywalking...

Does a teenage girl, who's caught jaywalking in the streets of Seattle deserve to be punched in the face? That is the question!

I look at the this video and don't know how I feel about it. I'm not going to say it's justified in any way as a police officer should have more restraint than to let a jaywalking incident escalate to this. However, once it did escalate, I'm at a loss for where I stand. I wish the video would have been shot a few minutes prior to see how the girls ended up at the police car in the first place. Did the police officer start using his authority to push the girls to a breaking point, or did the girls push the officer to his breaking point. We all know that you aren't supposed to resist arrest, or you will be faced with stronger force on the officers part. On top of that, this officer has 2 girls screaming, wailing and grabbing at him along with several bystanders screaming and hollering at him too.

What should have happened? How should this have been handled? If this were a male, would the reaction have been the same as what we feel for this young girl? Does it make a difference that both teenagers have criminal records already? Does that play any part in what could have happened prior to when we see the two girls at the police officers car? So may questions... it will be interesting to see how this plays out. Surprisingly, for once I can actually say I wont be judging either side until I hear all the details leading up to the video. What are your thoughts?

No comments: