Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Final Debate Wrap Up...


The new map indicates that Sen. Obama would have 277 electoral votes, with Sen. John McCain, the Republican candidate, amassing 174 electoral votes; 87 electoral votes are still up for grabs in several states. In order to win the presidency, a candidate needs 270 electoral votes.


Let me start off by telling you a very funny story from last night. Before Laura went to bed, she and I were reading stories. It was raining cats and dogs outside and the satellite had gone out. I was really afraid that I would not be able to see the Debate, but I left the TV on to see if it would eventually come back up. Lo and behold, right at 8:00pm the clouds cleared and the debate started. So, when Obama and McCain walked out on stage I told Laura that Mommy wanted the man on the left to win (my left). She asked what his name was, so I told her Barack Obama. She asked what he was going to be winning and I tried as best I could to explain what a debate was. I went on to tell her that the ultimate goal was for Barack to win the Presidency of the United States. Her response was "Well Mommy, what happened to John F. Kennedy?" I could not help but chuckle. She was so serious with her question. You see, over the summer we took Laura to Dallas and visited the site where JFK was assassinated. We explained to her that he was a President a long time ago. It's funny, she remembered him being a President, but didn't understand that he was no longer alive. It's amazing what kids retain.

Now, let's get back to the topic at hand. I was impressed with the final debate last night. I thought both parties did a good job. Of course I think Obama looked like a President above and beyond McCain but I also think they both did well. Obama seemed to take the criticism well and remained calm, cool and collected, when you know all Obama really wanted to do was reach across the table and deck McCain. I didn't like McCain's grimacing face. I thought he looked like a wax figure at Madame Tussuad's Museum. McCain seems like such a angry old man to me. That anger and attitude that he portrays is even more reason as to why we can't have him in the Oval Office. I would never feel safe that he would do what's right for the American people because of his erratic behavior and the anger he possesses. I guess if I were tortured for 5 years in a prison camp, I would be angry too. However, I'm afraid of that anger. I don't think it's a good attribute to have as President of the United States.

What did you think about the conversation regarding Joe the Plumber?
I didn't like that McCain even brought the subject up. However, I like the fact that Obama was very up front and very clear to Joe as you'll see in the following video. Obama didn't tell Joe what he wanted to hear, but actually what his stance was on raising taxes. He didn't waiver to get a vote and he stood his ground. That's what we need in a President. We may not like all of the choices a President makes and some of the choices may take some growing pains. But to me it's worth a few growing pains to get this country back on the right track. I don't think it's going to be an easy road and I do think there are going to be growing pains but 8 years from now when we elect a new president (yes, I think we'll have Obama for 8 years), I think our country will be in much better shape than we are in right now.
Joe The Plumber


What did you think of Bob Schieffer as moderator?
I thought he was fantastic. I thought he asked some really hard questions of both candidates and did his best to keep them both on track and answer the questions that were asked instead of diverting into another topic of conversation.

What new channel did you watch the debate?
I watched it on 2 channels, NBC and CNN. I ended up watching the last 1/2 on CNN because I really like their score cards and their squiggly lines for undecided voters in Ohio.


Below there are transcripts of all 3 Presidential Debates.
First Debate:
http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/09/26/debate.mississippi.transcript/
Second Debate:
http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/10/07/presidential.debate.transcript/
Third and Final Debate:
http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/10/15/debate.transcript/index.html

No comments: