Tuesday, June 23, 2009

"Jon left me no choice"

After the "Big Announcement" last night on Jon & Kate + 8, Kate Gosselin released the following statement: "Over the course of this weekend, Jon's activities have left me no choice but to file legal procedures in order to protect myself and our children. While there are reasons why it was appropriate and necessary for me to initiate this proceeding, I do not wish to discuss those reasons at this time, in the hope that all issues will be resolved amicably between Jon and myself. As always, my first priority remains our children." Jon also responded with a statement by saying: "This afternoon, Kate filed for divorce. Our kids are still my number one priority. I love them and want to make sure they stay happy, healthy and safe. My job is being the best, most supportive and loving father that I can be to my kids, and not being married to Kate doesn’t change that."

I don't know if I'm the only one around that feels like this, but I think it is so sad to see the dissolution of this marriage on national television. I am so saddened for the kids who didn't ask for any of it. I know Kate said that even if the cameras were not there this probably would still have happened to the two of them, but part of me thinks it's too stressful on a marriage to put yourself out there on a Reality TV show. It really has been the Reality TV curse that marriages just don't work in that arena.

I'm mad at them! Like they really care, huh? However, I am! They claimed (on so many episodes) that "at times, it seemed like they weren't getting along but that their relationship worked for them", they claimed their family was the most important thing to them both, and let's not forget they renewed their vows just last August.

I know people change and things don't always seem to work out but all of this turmoil seemed to happen so fast! It was like a snowball effect. Some may say that it was Kate's fault because she was so mean to Jon. However, on many occasions he was the one saying that their relationship worked even though it was clear Kate wore the pants. I think the downfall of their marriage came when Jon decided to step out on Kate. Some may say, she deserved it. I say not! No one deserves that, no one! If Jon was unhappy in the marriage he should have got counseling and guidance and if that didn't work - separate, but don't step out and then blame the other person. You're responsible for your own happiness. He was wrong for what he did and he can sit there all day and claim that he didn't cheat on Kate, but when your "rumored girlfriend" is on the front lawn of your new home sunbathing - give me a break. That is enough of a cheat for me. Even if he didn't have sex with her (which I find extremely unlikely that he didn't), bringing another woman to the house while your spouse is away is just flat out wrong. It's like he's going through a midlife crisis at 32. The cheating, the bar scene, the new bike, the earrings in both ears, the smoking. It's such juvenile behavior! I also saw Jon in a whole new light, when during his interview he said that "he was excited" about this new chapter in his life. Excited, excuse me? What is exciting about any of this. I know, he's free from Kate and his eight children, but I don't think excitement is the way you should feel knowing your marriage is ending.

Kate's not completely free of wrong doing either, but I think the marriage could have survived had Jon not cheated. I agree, Kate was mean to Jon. Their were times I even said, "I don't know how he does it". I also think that Kate got to a point of no return and could not let the show go, which was very clear that it was what Jon wanted. I do feel that if family was the most important thing to her, the show didn't have to go on. Instead she chose the show over the well being of her marriage and that is sad to me.

I hate it for Jon & Kate, I hate it for their children, I hate that we are all watching them go down this path! It's all such a sad situation!

No comments: