Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Suicide Clinics

So, I'm reading this story... http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090714/ap_on_re_eu/eu_britain_obit_downes and find myself dumbfounded by the whole thing. It seems a British couple have traveled to Switzerland to end their lives. Edward Downes, 85, has had trouble with his sight and hearing within the last several years and his wife, Joan, 74, was recently diagnosed with cancer. So, after 54 years of marriage they discussed the decision with their children and traveled to their final resting place, Switzerland. Their children issued a statement in which they said their parents died "peacefully and under circumstances of their own choosing".

Hmmmm, I don't think I would give my blessing to my parents if they came to me with the same wish??? Maybe that's selfish, but I wasn't raised to think like that. My parents didn't raise me to think like that. Unfortunately, we all get old and their are ailments we must all go through. However, suicide I don't think is the answer. There are so many young people who have so much life ahead of them and they are afflicted with the same things the Downes are going through, even worse in some cases.

What are your thoughts on assisted suicides and in this case suicide clinics?

No comments: